I’ve been looking for a simple/easy snack that has both dates and protein (and chocolate!), so I found these chocolate brownie protein balls on Pinterest and tried them out in the Snack Homie Test Kitchen.
I made this chocolate brownie protein balls recipe three times in one week. My wife even likes them (shocking!). I think the “brownie” in the title is misleading—only a brownie is a brownie, right?—but they’re definitely cocoa protein balls.
Zoom and enhance! This is an upclose pic I took in my kitchen.
The “slightly tweaked” recipe
I tweaked the original recipe a bit for two reasons: 1) the website with the original recipe was down when I tried to make it the second time, and 2) I don’t like walnuts and I don’t understand why salt is needed (if you disagree, let me hear it in the comments). Also, I used a bit of oil from my almond butter to help the balls stick together.
List of ingredients
- 8 pitted dates
- 1/2 cup of nuts*
- 1 generous scoop of chocolate protein powder (I used Orgain Chocolate Protein Powder)
- 1/2 cup of almond butter (I usually just eyeball it)
- 1 tsp of vanilla
- 2 tbsp of cocoa powder
*I say go crazy and try different nuts. I even used a mix of leftover nuts I found in my pantry.
- Just throw it all together in a food processor and hit chop/blend.
- I did use something like this 1 Tbsp coffee scoop to form the balls. It made the balls look much nicer than when I used my hands.
- Put whatever you don’t eat into the fridge.